The Naturalist: A collection of natural, organic non-paper surfaces for calligraphy
$45.00 – $75.00
[Please note! This listing is a preorder for the calligraphy kits. All kits should ship on or before December 1st.]
The most common question I get asked by fellow calligraphers is where to get all the different surfaces I write on! To be able to try a variety of surfaces is a difficult and fairly expensive process – I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent researching suppliers and how much money I have spent buying surfaces from all around the world in order to be confident in the materials I provide today to my clients!
This kit is a culmination of all those efforts – and luckily for you, you can now try all the various surfaces with a single purchase (seriously – the time saved is absolutely priceless!).
This kit is called the Naturalist, a collection of natural materials and nature-formed items that are not only the most lettering friendly, but also the most popular items requested by brides! The kit includes the following beautiful items:
- Agate: 6 slices of various colors (2.5″-3.5″ in size)
- Capiz shells: 4 3″ shells and 2 raw edge shells
- Marble: 4 3″ hexagon tiles
- Sea glass: 8 medium to large natural sea glass (0.75″-1″) and a handful of small sea glass for fun
- Slate: 4 pieces (various sizes and shapes)
- Oyster shells: 4 pieces (various sizes and shapes; may have sand)
- Information packet, including recommended inks, nibs and select supplier information
Please note that all materials are natural and may feature slight blemishes – the sea glass may have small nicks and chips formed by the ocean, the oyster shells may have sand embedded in crevices, the agate may have slight cracks from normal formation. Also note that the marble tiles are pulled from plastic mesh sheets and may have residual glue or mesh remnants.
This kit is intended for intermediate calligraphers who are comfortable using dip pens. It does not include any beginner calligraphy instruction on how to use the pointed pen. The kit is available as surfaces only (for those of you who may already have your own preferred inks and nibs) as well as surfaces + ink & nib to provide you with a convenient package of recommended supplies.
The optional add-on ink and nib kit includes:
- My favorite white and gold acrylic inks
- The only two nibs I ever use on alternative surfaces, and Bonus!! my favorite vintage nib for paper (the surfaces nibs will require a holder that can manage very small nibs)
- Bottle of gum arabic
- Glass dropper bottle for water (will be shipped empty)
- Please note: Penholders are NOT included in the add-on kit (message me if this is something you will also need and a custom order can be arranged).